You get a thrill each time you land a new client–there’s nothing better! But soon, you might find yourself scrambling to get everything together, struggling to clearly outline your processes, and making clients feel like you have no idea what’s going on.
I know that’s how I was when I started my business. It wasn’t pretty.
There’s a lot to learn, and fast. And when you’re not clear about what clients should expect–because you don’t know what to expect–you look unprofessional, and clients lose confidence. Not to mention you might devolve into a ball of stress that can barely type a coherent email, let alone produce a quality product. That’s no good!
Now, I have a nice client-intake/project process that goes something like this:
- Client fills out my request/contact form
- I send a rough estimate to the client, ask follow-up questions, and send them to my call scheduler so we can Skype
- We have a Skype meeting where I get more info about the project, and turn it into an official quote
- Client accepts the quote, makes a down-payment on the project and signs the contract
- I send over a welcome packet that outlines my office hours, the project process and timeline, number of revisions, cancellation policy, etc.
- Client sends me whatever I need for the project, and I get started
- I add everything to a project management system so we’re on the same page at all times
- Client requests revisions to the project
- Revisions are made, and project is launched
- I send a goodbye packet with project info, instructions, and a thank you to the client
This has made working with multiple clients SO much easier! Everything is kept in the project management system (or if the client prefers email, I use Streak to keep projects organized) and everyone knows what to expect at each step of the process. This has cut way down on the amount of emails I need to send and respond to, which frees up a lot of time and mental space, which in turn lets me stress a whole lot less!
And I can’t tell you how much my clients appreciate these streamlined systems too! Gone are the days of multiple phone calls to clarify what I need from them and when. Now everyone knows what’s going on, my business is a lot more professional and organized, and I am able to help clients more efficiently. Win-win.
Getting clear on how I needed my processes to work took some time (about two years)–I just about had everything in place when Leah Kalamakis’ wonderful course, Stress Less & Impress came around. Wish it had been around a few years earlier as it would have saved me a lot of trial-and-error! While I had several of the processes she teaches already in place, I still learned a ton, spruced up my client-intake process, and made my business run smoother overall. I highly recommend this course to both beginner and veteran small business owners and freelancers.
If you’ve been struggling with emails, projects dragging on, or handling multiple clients, take Stress Less & Impress and get your processes streamlined! Trust me, it will make your life so much easier and save your sanity too!
Stress Less a& Impress will be set at an early-bird price of $197 from Wed Oct 29th through Sun Nov 9th. Starting November 10th, the price will go up to $247.
Note: I was not paid to write this post, though I will receive an affiliate commission if you register using the links included in this post (thank you!). I loved this course and highly recommend it to those who are struggling to get their business organized and processes streamlined!